Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

July 17, 2010

great sunflower project...

A few months back I stumbled upon this website (I must credit Sunset mag for the info) called the Great Sunflower Project. The project is a way of tracking bees, our natural wild pollinators, to find where they are thriving and where numbers are declining. The GSP states that every third bite of food is attributed to bees. Having trouble with my zucchini plants the last couple of years, I thought I'd join the project to see how I could help, and if it would help my garden. Now that my sunflowers are blooming, I get to start counting my bees. Yippee!!!

Our garden is already filled with many bee loving plants... salvia, a butterfly bush, and lots and lots of lavender, to name a few. They all have beautiful blooms and our yard is covered with bees in the summertime. The kids even know to help honey bees that might need a little hand. I'm just excited to get started counting...something the kids have been looking forward to since we planted our Lemon Queen Sunflower seeds a few months back!

No comments: