Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

October 14, 2012

Chilequiles...


Over the summer, I visited a diner in Saratoga/San Jose area called Holden's Country Inn. On the breakfast menu was Chilequiles. They were a bit different, but so incredibly yummy! What I liked was they used tortilla chips and piled on the goodies. The night before we had Tacos for dinner, and I had some taco meat leftover, so that, and my visit to the diner over the summer, were my inspiration.  Please note, I didn't really measure anything. I just threw is all in the pan, and prayed I got something that worked. Note, this is a LARGE single serving since I was testing it out on myself!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Taco meat (I used leftover ground beef from the night before)
  • 1 cup Refried beans
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
  • Tortilla chips (restaurant-style works, although I used Mission tortilla chips)
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup red onion (chopped)
  • Fresh cilatro (rough chop)
  • lime or lemon (I used a lemon because that's all I had on hand)
  • Tapatio hot sauce (how can you possible go wrong with this stuff?)
Directions:
  • In a small bowl, add cilatro, most of the red onion (reserve some to the pan), and the juice from one lime. Let that mellow together while you prepare the rest of the dish.
  • In a large heated skillet, warm leftover taco meat. I added a few chopped red onions to add some flavor. Add enchilada sauce to the meat and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Push to the side of the pan.
  • Add refried beans to the pan (next to the meat) and warm through. Push over to one side.
  • In a small bowl, add the eggs and beat. 
  • Add to the pan, and start to scramble. As they start to firm up, I mix the eggs with the meat with enchilada sauce. (the beans can stay separate).
  • While that is finishing up, take a handful of tortilla chips on spread out on a plate or wide bowl.
  • Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of chips. 
  • Optional: I threw the chips and cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to slightly melt the cheese (this will also help crisp up the chips).
  • Add the eggs and meat mixture on top of the chips, then the beans.
  • Add the cilantro/onion/lime mixture, and top with Tapatio (as spicy as you want it).
  • Enjoy.

No comments: