Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

January 5, 2010

desert...not deSSert...


I found this grapefruit at Trader Joe's over the weekend, and it took me back to when I was in college and I went on a camping trip down to Anza Borrego. It was actually a natural science class where we camped for 5 days, did some hiking, a lot of 4-wheeling, and oh, yeah...a little science investigating and observations! I took a couple more trips down there...there's just something about the warm desert sun and the blooming Ocotillo plants, Joshua trees, and the Cholla cacti covering the landscape. One of the things that grows remarkably well down in the Anza-Borrego desert is grapefruit. It's really neat to see all the date palms and citrus orchards growing out in the middle of nowhere...literally. Since the area isn't the most popular tourist attraction, as you drive through the town of Borrego Springs, you'll see roadside stands selling huge bags of pink grapefruit for $2 a bag. Most of the stands aren't manned, so you just drop your two bucks in a metal box and grab a bag of fruit. And it was the sweetest grapefruit I'd ever had...no sugar needed.

I haven't been back to Anza-Borrego in almost 10 years, but I'm looking forward to heading back down there. Maybe this year, perhaps?

So, I enjoyed my grapefruit today and the sweet memory of the desert. I'm so glad I bought two, so I get to enjoy this memory again and maybe make a new one!

No comments: